Avocado sandwich that comes quickly together in less than 30 minutes and is made with a guacamole filling of ripe creamy avocado, crunchy onions, flavorful herbs and bold spices. I make these tasty guacamole sandwiches whenever I have avocados, bread and no time 🙂 They make for a hearty snack or a quick breakfast or brunch.
About This Avocado Sandwich
An avocado sandwich is a filling bread snack that can be made when you are super busy and want something to munch on in a jiffy. All you need is a ripe avocado and some bread. If you want you can pair the toast with some cheese, Hummus or tahini.
The bread that I have used here is white bread. But you can also make these sandwiches with brown bread or whole wheat bread or any other type of bread.
I have toasted the sandwich in the pan. If you have a hand toaster or sandwich grill, you can even use these or even bake them in the oven.
There is already a Guacamole Recipe on my blog. If you are interested you can have a look. In this guacamole recipe I have added olive oil just to enhance its taste and also because I love olive oil. Another recipe, where you can include avocado in your diet is Avocado Toast.
Always be creative when you make food and remember you add your own creative touch to this guacamole sandwich as well, like adding baby tomatoes or dry tomatoes or herbs or any seasonings or spices.
How to make Avocado Sandwich
Preparing the Avocado Filling
1. Take a ripe avocado on a chopping board. With a knife give a cut at the center moving around the entire avocado. Remove the seed and cut the avocado into halves.
2. Remove the ripe pulp with the help of a spoon and discard the seed. Take the avocado pulp in a big bowl.
3. Then add the following ingredients to the avocado pulp:
- 1 small to medium-sized onion (about ¼ to ⅓ cup finely chopped)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro). Instead of coriander you can add parsley.
- ½ to 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chilies (or 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeño pepper)
4. Next add 1 small to medium garlic clove (finely chopped or minced or crushed finely), ½ teaspoon black pepper powder and salt as required.
5. Now add ½ teaspoon of lemon juice or according to taste just to give a slight tang to the guacamole filling.
6. Mix all the ingredients very well.
7. Lastly add 2 teaspoons olive oil (optional).
8. Mix very well and also mash the avocado while mixing. Keep this guacamole stuffing aside. Do a taste test and if needed add some more salt, black pepper or lemon juice.
Making Avocado Sandwich
9. Grilling or toasting these sandwiches are optional. You can simply spread the guacamole filling on lightly buttered bread and make the sandwiches.
To toast the sandwiches you can do so on a skillet or frying pan or an electric toaster or panini press.
Here I show you how to grill the avocado sandwiches in a pan. First heat the pan on medium flame. I have used a grill pan to toast the guacamole sandwiches.
Note: You can also toast these sandwiches in an oven. For toasting in the oven, do check the notes section below in the recipe card.
10. Spread the guacamole stuffing on the bread slices. If you want you can lightly brush the bread with olive oil or spread some softened butter on the bread.
You can use any type of sandwich bread. For a healthier version use whole meal bread or multi grain bread or rye bread.
11. Cover with another slice of bread.
Toasting Guacamole Sandwich
12. Press gently and place the sandwich in the hot pan.
13. Check after 2 to 3 minutes and then flip the sandwich. The bottom side of the sandwich can be lightly toasted or fully toasted according to your preferences.
14. You can also drizzle some butter or olive oil and toast the sandwich on the pan. I have toasted the sandwich with butter and without butter. Both ways they taste good.
15. Check if the second side has been toasted by turning over the sandwich. Then remove the toasted avocado sandwich. Similar way assemble and then toast the other sandwiches with or without butter or olive oil until golden.
17. Slice the sandwich into triangles or squares.
You can also serve these sandwiches as an after school snack or as a tea time snack.
If you are looking for more sandwich varieties then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
Easy, filling, tasty and hearty avocado sandwich made with a guacamole filling of ripe avocado, onions, herbs and spices.
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Total Time 25 mins
Servings 4 Avocado Sandwiches
Take a ripe avocado on a chopping board. With a knife give a cut at the center moving around the entire avocado. Remove the seed and cut the avocado into halves.
Remove the ripe pulp with the help of a spoon. Take the avocado pulp in a big bowl.
Add finely chopped onions, chopped coriander leaves and finely chopped green chili to the avocado pulp.
Next add garlic clove (finely chopped or crushed finely), black pepper powder and salt as required.
Now add the lemon juice as per taste.
Mix all the ingredients very well.
Lastly add olive oil (optional).
Mix very well and also mash the avocado while mixing. Keep this guacamole stuffing aside.
Making Avocado Sandwich
Heat a pan on a medium heat. You can also toast the sandwiches in a hand held toaster or electric toast sandwich maker.
Spread the guacamole stuffing on the bread slices. Cover with another slice of bread.
Press gently and place the guacamole sandwich in the hot pan.
Check after 2 to 3 minutes and then flip the sandwich.
You can also drizzle some butter or olive oil and toast the sandwich on the pan.
Check if the second side has been toasted by turning over the sandwich. When done, then remove the toasted guacamole sandwich.
Similar way toast the other sandwiches with or without olive oil or butter until golden.
Cut into triangles or squares.
Serve avocado sandwich hot or warm with any dip or sauce of your choice
- Make sure to use ripe avocado. To check if the avocado is ripe, press the fruit with your fingertips. The pressed portion should give away. This means that the avocado is ripened.
- To make these avocado sandwiches spicy you can increase the amount of green chilies or jalapeño.
- Instead of coriander, you can use parsley. If you don’t have fresh herbs then you can use dried herbs.
- Use any type of sandwich bread or soft bread. For a healthier option make the sandwiches with whole wheat bread or rye bread or multi grain bread.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius/356 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the sandwich in a baking tray and then place in the preheated oven. You can choose to brush the sandwiches with some olive oil or butter prior to toasting them in the oven.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius/356 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden and crisp. If needed turn over half-way and then continue to bake so that the both the sides are toasted evenly.
Avocado Sandwich | Guacamole Sandwich
Amount Per Serving
Calories 237 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2g13%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Vitamin A 82IU2%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 3mg15%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 6mg7%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin K 13µg12%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 98µg25%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
This Avocado Sandwich post from the archives (May 2012) has been republished and updated on 20 September 2021.