Who doesn’t like the idea of getting gorgeous locks without putting in harmful chemicals on their hair and scalp? Making your own herbal shampoo would not only save your hair from a lot of chemicals, it would also nourish your hair and make it strong and healthy. Also, you would be in control of exactly what goes into your shampoo. So without any further delay let me share with you some homemade natural shampoo recipes that works great, are inexpensive, and really simple to make.
1. Coconut Milk Shampoo: Take 1/4 cup coconut milk, 1/3 cup Liquid Castille Soap (can be bought online), 1/2 teaspoon of Vitamin E oil, 20 drops of Essential Oils of choice. Combine all ingredients in an old shampoo bottle or jar of some kind and shake well so that all the ingredients can be mixed well. You can store this mixture in the refrigerator for about a month. People with normal hair types can use rosemary, chamomile or lavender essential oils whereas chamomile and jojoba works great for dry hair types. Note: For dry hair: add 1/2 tsp olive or almond oil too in this mixture
2. Honey Shampoo: Take 1/4 cup honey, 2 tablespoons mild shampoo of your choice, 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon witch hazel, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon almond oil and 1 tablespoon rosewater. Put all the ingredients in a bottle and shake well. Massage into your hair and your scalp well and then rinse out with warm, not hot water. Keep the leftovers in the refrigerator and use the next time you shampoo. This recipe is especially suited for people with oily hair and scalp.
3. Dry Herb Shampoo: Boil 2 cups distilled or spring water and keep it aside for 15-20 minutes. Now take 10 tablespoons dried herbs of your choice (rosemary and sage are a good choice for dark hair while lavender and nettle can be used for any hair type) and put them in a cup of boiling water. Cover and allow the mixture to steep for 30 minutes undisturbed. Strain the liquid from the pan into a medium sized mixing bowl and add half cup of liquid castile soap, 10 to 20 drops essential oil and 1 teaspoon jojoba oil. Stir vigorously and pour the contents in a plastic bottle. Store the shampoo in the refrigerator and use approximately one tablespoon per application, and shake well before each use.
4. Egg Shampoo: Put 1 egg, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon mild unscented shampoo and 1/2 cup water in a blender and blend until you get a smooth and runny liquid. Put this liquid in an old shampoo bottle and store in the refrigerator for multiple use.
5. Jojoba Oil Shampoo For Dry Hair: Take 1 tbsp mild shampoo, /2 tsp glycerin 1/2 tsp jojoba oil, 1/2 tsp melted coconut oil and 1/4 cup distilled water. Swirl all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and store in air-tight container. This shampoo will not lather as much as commercial ones but it will clean your hair nicely.
6. Baking Soda Clarifying Shampoo: Mix 1/2 cup baking soda with 3 cups water (this will make enough for several washings). Store in a plastic or glass container. You can also make it one serving at a time. Mix 1 Tablespoon of baking soda with 1 cup of warm water. Shake well each time you want to use this natural clarifying shampoo. Apply to your scalp and scrub it gently.