In this post, we are going to highlight a problem which is the reason why men and women spend sleepless nights – don’t get us wrong, we are talking about hair fall! The frantic search for anti-hair fall shampoos and oils is a proof that this is a serious and quite a common issue. Before splurging money on expensive oils and serums, rule out if these daily habits are behind your excessive hair loss and hair thinning. Besides your hormonal changes, there are certain habits that can trigger hair fall, so do correct them asap to avoid losing your precious hair. Here we are listing 10 habits that make your hair thinner and cause hair fall.
1. Frequent Shampooing of Hair with Sulfate and Chemical-Laden Shampoos: When it comes to using shampoo, ideally you should wash hair only twice a week or after every three days. Women with oily scalp get into the habit of washing hair everyday, and this practice with sulfate shampoos can rip the natural oils from the scalp and make it much more dry, and trigger dandruff as well. If your hair gets excessively greasy, try using a dry shampoo or just baby powder to freshen up the scalp. Chemical-laden shampoos can be extremely harsh on the hair and scalp, damaging hair follicles and leading to hair thinning.
2. Not Diluting Shampoo Before Applying it on the Hair: We have already mentioned how shampooing hair daily can trigger hair fall; however, even if you wash hair only twice or thrice a week, are you diluting it with water? Diluting shampoo with water will lessen the concentration of chemicals in the shampoo. Also, mixing a bit of conditioner with shampoo will have the same effect. Application of shampoo on hair should not be direct; it should be diluted with small proportion of water and then applied to your hair.
3. Too Much Stress: Any type of emotional stress, trauma, harassment, accident, financial crisis can be one of the reasons for your hair loss. When you are stressed, your body does not function properly and is able to provide nourishment to your hair well which eventually makes the hair follicles weak, leading to hair fall. You can practice yoga or meditation to reduce stress. Also, consult a medical practitioner if you are unable to handle the stress.
4. Styling Hair with Heat on a Daily Basis: Girls, I totally understand your need to style your hair for parties, outings, dates, but regular styling can damage hair follicles. If you think your hair is brittle and week already, avoid styling your hair. Using of heat while using straighteners, curlers, tongs, can damage the hair texture and cuticles and cause breakage as well. Avoid styling your hair frequently, instead fall in love with the natural texture of your hair.
5. Combing Hair When Wet: Almost of us have this bad habit of combing hair when wet, right? When your hair is wet the roots are more weak and prone to be pulled down easily by your comb. Brushing your hair when it’s still wet can pull them off the roots, especially when it’s in a tangled condition. Wait till your hair is completely dry and then proceed with gently combing the hair.
6. Using Wrong Kind of Comb: If you can wait combing till your hair dries up, use a wide tooth comb to comb them. This will not be harsh on your hair and cause less damage. If you have curly hair, you need wider brush. If you want to use your regular close tooth brush, wait for some time till your hair dries completely.
7. Nutritional Deficiencies and an Unhealthy Diet. If you are suffering from hair loss, the first thing you should do is to find out if you are deficient in certain nutrients. Iron, zinc, vitamin A, C, selenium deficiencies cause bad hair fall, so switch to a healthy diet, such as on the Rati Beauty app, that also helps shed extra pounds by helping you eat the right kind of food. Download the Rati Beauty app for more details.
8. Blow Drying Hair Everyday: Yes, excess use of blow dryer can damage your hair because of the amount of heat that touches the hair. If you want to dry your hair fast, you should wait until 70% of your hair dries up. Concentrating blower on a particular section of hair can make your hair weak. No matter how fast you want to rush, never use hair dryer on your wet hair.
9. Tying Hair Too Tightly: Pony tail should always be loose, as tight pony tails can weaken hair from the roots. Also, remember not to use accessories like hair bands and clips that can cause tangles in hair and pull out hair from its root. Be gentle with your hair.
10. Lack of Sleep: Sleeping for less than 7 hours would not only have an adverse effect on your weight, it would also trigger hair fall. So, do not get up from the bed until you have completed 7 hours of sleep.
If you are guilty of repeating any of the habits mentioned above, stop doing them, and your hair will thank you for life.