This Chocolate Avocado Mousse is decadent, smooth, satisfying and rich in flavor! It is also eggless and vegan! Use ripe avocados to make the base and combine with melted chocolate. Make in just 15 minutes and serve as a sweet snack or dessert.
About Chocolate Avocado Mousse
This chocolate avocado mousse looks gorgeous and tastes amazing. Avocados are a key ingredient in this recipe and the riper the better! I always buy avocados when I have the chance as they can be used to make so many delicious dishes.
Some of my go-to recipes are Avocado Milkshake, Avocado Toast and Guacamole. I have also made an avocado cake but it didn’t come out as well as I had hoped so I usually make this chocolate avocado mousse as a dessert instead.
This recipe was inspired by a mousse recipe from Kiran’s blog. The dessert was presented beautifully. The ingredients were easy to find however, I did substitute agave syrup with organic cane sugar but the results were just as delicious.
Though avocado makes up most of this dessert you can’t taste it at all! The flavors from the coconut oil, coffee and chocolate mask the avocado flavor. Some other delicious mousse recipes you may like to try are:
How to make Chocolate Avocado Mousse
1. Add ½ cup of chopped semisweet chocolate, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1 teaspoon of instant coffee and 2 to 3 tablespoons of raw sugar to a small skillet.
Optional: You can also melt these ingredients in small bursts using a microwave instead. Make sure you stir in between each interval until the chocolate has melted completely.
2. Heat 1 to 1.5 cups of water in a saucepan on medium heat. Bring water to a boil then lower the heat.
3. Place the skillet with the ingredients on top of the saucepan.
TIP: Make sure that the skillet does not touch the water.
4. Once the pan comes into contact with the steam the chocolate will start to melt. Stir the ingredients continuously until the chocolate melts and has a smooth texture.
Do not overcook the chocolate as it will seize or release fat.
5. The chocolate mixture should have a smooth and shiny texture. Once the chocolate has melted remove it from the pan. Then set it aside and let it cool completely.
6. Scoop the flesh of 1 medium or large avocado in a blender. Make sure the avocado is ripe and at room temperature, as a cold avocado will cause the chocolate liquid to harden.
Then add vanilla extract and the melted chocolate mixture at room temperature.
7. Blend until smooth.
8. Scoop out the mousse in bowls or glasses.
9. Cover the mousse with a lid or foil. Then refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour or until cold. You can also eat this mousse straightaway without chilling it.
10. Remove the foil then add chopped cashews, pistachios, almonds and any berries of your choice.
Enjoy chocolate avocado mousse.
- Quick vegan chocolate mousse: This mousse is a great chocolate treat and can be ready in just 15 minutes! Add room temperature molten chocolate mixture, room temperature avocado and vanilla extract to a blender and mix until well combined. Add the mixture into a glass bowl.
- Avocado: Choose ripe avocados to make this tasty dessert. The avocados should be firm but slightly give way when you squeeze them. Peel and deseed the avocado before adding it to the blender.
- Room temperature: It is important the chocolate mixture and avocado are room temperature when they are being blended. This will ensure that you get the perfect mousse consistency and prevent the mixture from hardening.
- Melting chocolate: For this recipe, I placed the skillet with the ingredients on top of the saucepan and used the steam to melt the chocolate. If you use this method then make sure that the skillet does not touch the water. Alternatively, you can use a microwave to melt the chocolate instead. If you are using a microwave ensure that you allow the chocolate mixture to cool before adding it to the blender.
Keeping the mousse in the fridge will help it to firm up and set. But you can also enjoy it without refrigerating. If you want to serve it cold, leave the vegan mousse to set for at least 30 minutes to get the best results. If it has not been set then leave it to chill for longer. We like this dessert when it is chilled or cold.
In this mousse, the avocado makes the consistency creamy and thick. If you are not a fan of avocado, then use ripe sweet bananas instead. You will need to add less sugar or skip it altogether if you use bananas. You can use about 1 to 2 medium-sized bananas.
There are a few things that can go wrong when making this mousse. For this recipe, you will need to make sure that the melted chocolate mixture and avocado are at room temperature to achieve the right consistency after blending the ingredients.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
A Chocolate Avocado Mousse that is decadent, satisfying and rich in flavor made with ripe avocados and melted chocolate. The recipe is also egg-free and vegan.
Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 5 mins
Blending Time 5 mins
Total Time 15 mins
For the avocado mousse
For Garnish – optional or choose any
Take the chopped semisweet chocolate, coconut oil, instant coffee raw sugar in a small skillet or a heat proof bowl. Set aside.
Heat 1 to 1.5 cups of water in a saucepan on medium heat. Bring water to a boil then lower the heat.
Place the skillet with the ingredients on top of the saucepan making sure that the skillet does not touch the water nor is very close to the surface of water.
When the pan comes in touch with the steam, the chocolate will begin to melt.
Stir the ingredients with wooden spoon until all of the chocolate melts. Do not overcook the chocolate as it will seize or release fat.
Once the chocolate has melted remove it from the pan. The melted chocolate mixture should look smooth and glossy. Then set it aside and let it cool completely at room temperature.
Making Chocolate Avocado Mousse
Scoop the flesh of the avocado in a blender. Make sure the avocado is ripe and at room temperature, as a cold avocado will cause the melted chocolate liquid to harden or seize. Also ensure that the chocolate mixture is at room temperature
Add vanilla extract and the melted chocolate mixture that is at room temperature.
Blend to a smooth consistency.
Spoon the mousse in small bowls. You can either refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour or serve straightaway.
If refrigerating, cover the bowls with lids or a foil or parchment paper.
Serve garnished with some chopped nuts or fresh berries or chocolate shavings.
- Add more chocolate if desired.
- You can also increase the quantity of coffee and coconut oil if preferred.
- Sugar can be adjusted as per your taste preferences.
- The recipe serves 3 small bowls, but you can make more servings by increasing the quantity proportionately.
- This mousse can also be made with milk chocolate, dark chocolate or sweet chocolate. You will need to add more sugar if using dark or bitter-sweet chocolate.
Chocolate Avocado Mousse
Amount Per Serving
Calories 385 Calories from Fat 252
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 12g75%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 12g
Vitamin A 123IU2%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 7mg8%
Vitamin E 2mg13%
Vitamin K 16µg15%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 57µg14%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
This Chocolate Avocado Mousse post from the blog archives first published in October 2012 has been republished and updated on 6 August 2021.