“It is good to learn from your mistakes, but it is even better to learn from other people’s mistakes.” These are the words of wisdom from one of the world’s most successful investors, Warren Buffet, who is also the sixth richest person in the world. When it comes to weight loss, these words of wisdom apply effectively as we can learn from other people’s mistakes and rectify them to save time and effort and get faster results in the process. In this post, we list down some mistakes other people have made while trying to lose weight so that you can steer clear of them.
1. Crash Dieting Never Works: People tend to believe that staying hungry all day long will bring immediate weight loss results, but that’s such a wrong notion. Staying hungry not only increases cravings for unhealthy food; but to make up for the lack of food and energy, the body slows down metabolism, throws important hormones out of whack, and makes you sluggish and fatigued. As a result, contrary to your expectations, you would not look lean and fit, you would look tired, sluggish, and weak. The only fool-proof way to lose weight is by getting on the right kind of weight loss diet, such as the Rati Beauty diet, on the Rati Beauty app, that encourages you to eat normal food and in the right quantity so that you can drop pounds as well as lose inches off your waist too. It is essential to go into a calorie deficit to actually lose weight and all the diet programs on Rati Beauty put you through calorie deficit without compromising on nutrition or health. Download the Rati Beauty app for more details.
2. Start Counting Liquid Calories As Well: We often miss noting down the calories that we consume from fruit juices, soft drinks, sodas, smoothies, etc. Since fruit juices do not have fiber content, they do not keep you full for long, and you can feel hungry within a few minutes of having them. Post-workout shakes, milk shakes, smoothies all have calories in them which can increase your calorie count, and that’s why it’s important to keep a track of calories coming from these liquids as well.
3. You Cannot Eat Unlimited Amounts of “Healthy Food” All Day Long: This is a common mistake most people tend to make. They tend to overeat foods are considered as “healthy,” for example, oats, protein bars, smoothies, walnuts, cashew nuts, almonds, even peanuts! Do keep in mind that they do have calories and can take up your calorie count a lot higher than you think, leading to weight gain instead.
4. Superfoods Alone Will Not Help you Shed Weight: Superfoods are nutrient-dense food options with weight-loss boosting benefits – from inflammation-reducing antioxidants, to appetite-suppressing fiber and protein, fat-burning omega-3 fatty acids; however, portion control is essential even with superfoods because some of them can make you gain weight. Here’s a list of “14 Superfoods That Can Make You Overweight.”
5. Only Exercising and Not Taking Care of the Diet will Not Work: You can never outrun a bad diet, and that’s why, exercising for hours together in the gym without actually correcting the diet will not lead to weight loss! Also, we tend to give ourself the freedom to eat more food expecting to burn all extra calories through workout (mainly cardio), but cardio exercises can only burn limited amount of calories. Only controlled diet combined with exercise would lead to weight loss, otherwise you may just see more weight gain.
6. Diet Pills and Fat Burners Do Not Melt Fat and They Have Side Effects: The weight-loss pills or fat-burner stuff that’s shown through advertisements are nothing but marketing gimmicks. People who have tried them have not seen any great results, do not try them for the sake of trying, not at all without consulting a doctor because they might cause health issues. Weight loss is a process that takes time to show results and only a proper diet and exercising is the sure shot way to get lean and shed extra weight, no fat-burning pill can do that. Also, the weight drop through such pills is mostly water weight and not real melting away of fat.
7. Relying on Artificial Sweeteners and Sugar-Free Food: Sugar-free foods with artificial sweeteners are considered healthy options by people who are trying to cut calories. However, these so-called “sugar-free food items” that contain artificial sweeteners like aspartame, sucralose, saccharin, etc instead of regular sugar, do not get processed by our body properly and studies have found them bad for the waistline and skin. In fact, long-term use of artificial sweeteners can cause headaches and other health issues as well. In fact, here’s a list of better alternatives to refined sugar.
8. Do Not Compromise on Sleep: A good night’s sleep is extremely essential in increasing metabolism and the normal functioning of fat-burning enzymes and hormones. Sleep deprivation has been strongly tied to weight gain, particularly around the tummy area. So, if you want to get rid of belly fat, all you have to do is to sleep tight at night! Because sleeping for 7 hours or less can block weight loss from happening.
Summing up, straighten your diet, move more, sleep well, and stress less.