WiFi passwords are saved on an Android device so that it can automatically connect to the network next time you are in range. This saves the user from the trouble of having to type the password again and again. But, the problem arises if you forget your password and wish to connect a new device to the network.
As the passwords are saved in previously connected Android devices, you can easily check the share the connection from your smartphone to the new device. You can also check the password in case you don’t remember the password and wish to enter the password manually on other devices.
In this article, we will be going through all possible methods to see your WiFi password from your Android device. Here, we will be covering both rooted and unrooted Android devices so that you can find a suitable method for your smartphone. There are also different approaches for Android version 10 and higher devices as compared to the Android 9 or lower devices which we will also cover in our guide. So make sure you read until the end to find out how to see the WiFi password on your Android device.
Method 1: How To See WiFi Password on Android version 10 and Above Android Smartphones
If your smartphone is operating on Android version 10 or higher, then it is going to be very easy for you to see your WiFi password. Similar to all Android smartphones, the devices that operate on Android version 10 or higher also save the information of all previously connected networks.
But, Google has enabled its users to view and share the network details in the Android version 10 update. Thus, it is going to be easier for you to see your WiFi password in an Android 10 smartphone. Here’s how you can see your WiFi password:
- Open the settings on your smartphone. You can do this by opening the app drawer and selecting the “Settings” app. Alternatively, you can just drag down the notification panel and select the small gear icon to access your device settings
- Once you are in the settings panel, you will see the “Wi-Fi & Network” option. Please note that this potion can be different based on the manufacturer of your device.
- Here, you need to tap the “Wi-Fi” option to proceed.
- Once you open the “Wi-Fi & Network” option, you will see the connection as well as all available networks near your device.
- Then, you can either select one of the networks available on the list which is active around you or go to the “Saved networks” tab to see the password of an inactive network,
- In the “Saved networks” tab, you will see all saved network information on your device. Click on the network of which you want to see the password for additional information.
- Now, you will see a ‘“Share’ option which allows you to share the information of the network. Click on it to see the password. If you use a screen lock, you will be prompted to verify your pattern, fingerprint, or pin code before you can access the information.
- Now, you will see a QR code on your screen. Below the QR code, you will see the password of the selected network. You can also scan the code from another smartphone to connect to the network without entering the password.
Method 2: How To See WiFi Password on Android version 9 or Below Android Smartphones
Before the Android version 10 update, Android users did not have permission to access the network information from the system settings. But, the network information is still being stored on your Android device so that your device can connect to the network seamlessly. Thus, you will need elevated privileges to see the WiFi passwords on Android 9 devices.
The additional privileges can be granted by rooting your Android smartphone. Getting root access is very easy, and you can find tonnes of tutorials online on how to root your Android device. Although, keep in mind that your smartphone’s warranty may be void after rooting your device. Also, recent smartphones require bootloader unlocking before you can root, which wipes your phone’s data completely.
If root permissions are granted to an untrusted third-party application, you can also face data theft or viruses on your smartphone. Hene, it is necessary to be cautious while using a rooted smartphone.
If you have rooted your Android version 9 or lower smartphone, you can check the WiFi password by following the steps given here.
- First of all, you need to check whether your device is properly rooted or not. To do that, simply download the “Root Checker” app on your phone. Once launched, it will show you the root status of your device after tapping the “Verify root” option.
- Once your device is rooted correctly, you can download a third-party application such as the “Wi-Fi Password Viewer app” on your phone to see all saved WiFi passwords.
- Once downloaded, launch the Wi-Fi Password Viewer app. During the initial launch, it will prompt you to grant root access. Simply click on the “Allow” option to give root access to the application.
- Then, you will be redirected to the home screen of the application. Here, you will see a list of all saved WiFi networks on your device. Simply tap on the network which you wish to check.
- Now, you will see multiple options for a WiFi network. You can also share the password directly via QR code or by other means. If you just want to see the WiFi password, tap on the “Copy password” option.
- Now, the password of the selected WiFi network will be copied to your smartphone’s clipboard. Simply paste the content onto a text box to see the WiFi password.
Method 3: How To See WiFi Password on Rooted Android Device Using 3rd Party App
As the WiFi passwords are saved in the root directory of your smartphone, you can also use file manager with elevated privileges to see the saved WiFi passwords on your device. But again, you will need a rooted device if you want to see the WiFi password from the root directory of your smartphone.
The following solution will work for all Android devices irrespective of their version. Here’s how you can use ES file explorer or a similar file manager to see your saved WiFi password.
- First of all, you will have to grant root privileges to your file explorer. Generally, file managers do not ask for root access unless required. Hence, open your ES file explorer and choose the “Root Explorer” option.
- Once you click that, you will be prompted to grant root access to the ES file manager. Click on “Allow” to proceed.
- Now, you will have to navigate to the file which has the saved WiFI password. Simply head over to the “Device” section and open the “data” folder. Here, open the “misc” folder to find the WiFI folder.
- In the WiFi section, you will find a “.conf” file that saves your WiFi password. Click on the file to open it.
- If prompted, select “HTML viewer” from the list to see the content of the file. Once the file is opened, you can see the SSID and password of the saved network.
- You can also copy the password directly from this file.
Finding out the WiFi password on an Android smartphone is very easy, especially if you have a premium smartphone that supports Android version 10 or higher. Even if your smartphone has a lower android version than v10, you can still see the WiFi password by following the alternative solutions provided in our article. If you are unable to do so, you can ask your query in the comment section below.