If you are one of the 41% of Atlanta’s residents who own their own home, you know how important it is to have solid homeowners insurance in Atlanta. Although the city is not prone to natural disasters like earthquakes or tornadoes, it does have its share of crime, and proper insurance coverage is necessary to protect your investment.
The average cost of a policy in Atlanta is $1,380 for $250,000 worth of dwelling coverage. This is very close to the state average of $1,376, and a bit more than the national average of $1,312. To find the best cheap home insurance in Atlanta, we looked at top insurers who offer good prices, excellent customer service and diverse coverage options and discounts.
Best cheap home insurance companies Atlanta
The Bankrate team looked at multiple variables to determine the best cheap home insurance in Atlanta. Price was important, of course, but so was the range of coverage options and available discounts. We looked at customer service, as determined by consumer watchdog agencies like J.D. Power, and assessed each company for financial stability.
|Home insurance company||Average Annual Premium for $250K dwelling||J.D. Power score|
*USAA is not eligible for official ranking with J.D. Power due to eligibility restrictions
Progressive’s premium rates were the lowest of any insurer we looked at, with an average annual rate of $804 — that’s more than $500 cheaper than the Atlanta average. However, the company was the lowest rated of our top picks by J.D. Power, which looks at overall customer satisfaction. So it is possible that you will pay for your cheap rates with a less-than-stellar customer experience.
Progressive’s discounts, which include a new purchase discount and a pay-in-full discount, can lower your costs even more. Optional coverages include water back-up and personal injury, which protects you from slander or libel.
Farmers came in with our second lowest average rate, at $871 — still hundreds of dollars below the Atlanta average. The company scores respectably with J.D. Power as well.
Farmers’ online quote tool is one of the best in the business, and you can use its Smart Plan Home tool to choose one of three options for homeowners insurance: standard, enhanced or premier. The company offers declining deductibles which drop $50 for each year your policy is in force, and a discount if you’ve been claims-free for three or more years.
Auto-Owners offers a nice balance of low premiums and above average customer service, and it is worth quoting with the company when you are looking for the best cheap home insurance in Atlanta.
It has a good range of optional coverages that allow you to customize your policy, including Homeowners Plus, designed for higher-value homes, which includes increased coverage levels for things like food spoilage and damage caused by household leaks. It also offers an even dozen ways to save, including a green discount and a mortgage-free discount.
USAA sells policies to military members, veterans and their families. If you’re stationed at the Marietta base or have served in the past, it should be your first stop when gathering quotes for homeowners insurance.
USAA excels at supporting its customers, and is at the very top of the J.D. Power list for customer service. You will also find a vibrant online community at the company’s website, and you can lower your already-low premiums with bundling discounts and more. USAA insurance features military-specific coverage, including special coverage for your uniforms in the event of a loss.
If you are looking for a policy you can customize to meet your own needs, Travelers is worth a look. In addition to standard coverages, it offers eight ways you can customize your policy by adding endorsements for jewelry and valuable items, water backup, green home coverage and more.
Although Travelers’ rates were the highest of our five top insurers, they are still under the Atlanta average, and potential discounts for bundling, loss-free and protective devices stand to reduce your rate even more.
Atlanta home insurance coverage options
Unlike auto insurance, homeowner insurance is not mandated by the state, although your mortgage holder (if you have one) may require you to carry a policy. A standard HO-3 insurance policy covers your home, property and other structures from damage by named perils, and also includes liability coverage. Here are some optional coverages, called endorsements, you can add:
- Flood insurance: Although Atlanta is not on a major body of water, even small ponds and drainage ditches can flood and cause damage. Your insurer can tell you if it would be wise to purchase a policy from the National Flood Insurance Program, since flooding is not covered by most homeowner policies.
- Water and sewer backup: If you have a sump pump in your home, consider this add-on to your policy. Damage caused by water backing up in a drain line is not covered by HO-3 policies, and having this coverage could save you from significant repair costs if your basement should flood.
- Identity fraud: It can cost individuals thousands of dollars in legal and other fees to repair their identity following a theft. This coverage helps pay for that.
Home insurance discounts in Atlanta
Discounts are a great way to lower your premium rate. Most insurers offer them, and many are easy to earn. Here are some of the most common discounts you may be able to take advantage of:
- Bundling: Many insurers will consider giving you a discount when you purchase more than one policy from the company. This could be home and auto, home and life or some other combination.
- Loss-free discount: If you have not made a claim on your account for a certain period of time — usually three to five years — you may be able to earn a small discount.
- Green home: Insurers are just starting to offer discounts for incorporating green construction techniques when you are building a new home.
- Protective devices: Smoke detectors, burglar alarms and sprinkler systems may all earn you a discount that can lower your cost.
Discounts are also a good reason to review your policy once a year, in the event that you are newly eligible for a discount.
Frequently asked questions
What is the best home insurance company?
There are a number of top insurers writing excellent policies in the Atlanta region. To find the best one for your purposes, ask for quotes from several of our top options to see who offers you the best price and gives you the best customer service as well.
How much does home insurance in Atlanta cost?
The average cost of a policy in Atlanta is $1,380 per year for a $250,000 dwelling. Your own policy will undoubtedly differ from this, based on factors including your home’s age and location, your credit rating and the condition of your home and property.
How much home insurance do I need in Atlanta?
You want to have enough home insurance that you could rebuild if a disaster destroyed your home. This amount may be different from the home’s market value. Your insurance agent can help you determine how much you should insure your property for.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze rates for all ZIP codes and homeriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $250,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $25,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $125,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $50,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes may be different.
Rates are determined based on 2020 Quadrant Information Services data.