It’s the end of the second week of spring bonus season, and bonus news seems to be significantly slowing down. Dozens upon dozens of firms have remained completely silent. Why? The market (i.e., all of the firms that have matched the generous Davis Polk scale, including Cravath) has already spoken — very loudly, in fact. There aren’t any decisions left to be made… except, of course, whether or not your firm is planning to stiff associates.
Which firms in the Am Law 50 haven’t uttered a word (that we know of) to their associates about bonuses yet? Here’s a list of the firms that have yet to match (along with their most recent gross revenue, as of 2019). Do with it what you will, and please feel free to correct us if we’re wrong.
- 4. Baker McKenzie / $2,920,000,000
- 8. Hogan Lovells / $2,246,050,000
- 10. Jones Day / $2,077,000,000
- 11. Gibson Dunn / $2,008,334,000
- 12. Norton Rose / $1,904,019,000
- 14. Greenberg Traurig / $1,641,790,000
- 21. King & Spalding / $1,338,607,000
- 25. Quinn Emanuel / $1,252,062,000
- 26. Reed Smith / $1,246,926,000
- 28. Covington / $1,187,388,000
- 32. MoFo / $1,147,200,000
- 33. Dechert / $1,135,502,000
- 37. Squire Patton Boggs / $1,035,000,000
- 38. Holland & Knight / $1,026,809,000
- 39. K&L Gates / $1,026,626,000
- 44. Arnold & Porter / $951,900,000
- 45. Perkins Coie / $934,810,000
- 46. Foley & Lardner / $920,427,000
- 47. Wachtell / $882,086,000 (associates at this firm don’t typically share information on their compensation, but WLRK is known for its gigantic bonuses; nothing to see here)
- 48. Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner / $869,057,000
- 50. McGuireWoods / $853,505,000
Remember everyone, we depend on your tips to stay on top of important bonus updates, so when your firm matches, please text us (646-820-8477) or email us (subject line: “[Firm Name] Matches”). Please include the memo if available. You can take a photo of the memo and send it via text or email if you don’t want to forward the original PDF or Word file.
And if you’d like to sign up for ATL’s Bonus Alerts (which is the alert list we also use for salary announcements), please scroll down and enter your email address in the box below this post. If you previously signed up for the bonus alerts, you don’t need to do anything. You’ll receive an email notification within minutes of each bonus announcement that we publish. Thanks for all of your help!
Staci Zaretsky is a senior editor at Above the Law, where she’s worked since 2011. She’d love to hear from you, so please feel free to email her with any tips, questions, comments, or critiques. You can follow her on Twitter or connect with her on LinkedIn.