Long, shiny and silky hair is what every woman dreams of, but various factors like out of whack hormones, nutritional deficiencies, wrong choice of hair products stand between that dream. Hair is considered crowning glory for women and when that mane is healthy and shiny, can we ask for more? There should be no doubt at all nutrition plays an important role in hair growth and certainly, switching to a healthier diet with hair-friendly nutrients such as vitamin E, protein, vitamin C, biotin, iron, and healthy fats will do your hair a whole lot of good. If you have been suffering from hair thinning and hair fall, check out this list of best foods for hair growth so that you can pick them up on your next grocery outing to get luscious, healthy, and beautiful locks.
1. Eggs: Our hair is made up of protein and amino acids. And luckily, egg is a rich source of proteins, essential nutrients and vitamins that are essential for hair growth. Vitamin A, which can be found in egg yolk, has the power to improve your hair’s capacity to produce natural moisture. The increased sebum production can prevent hair loss, control dandruff, dry scalp and can stimulate hair growth. Vitamin E in eggs protects us from harmful ultraviolet rays that can damage our locks. Fatty acids protect us from breakage and from brittle hair. Also, Vitamin D can improve the overall texture of your hair.
2. Salmon: If you are a non-vegetarian, salmon is a good option for you. Salmon contains good vitamins, proteins and essential minerals such as Vitamin D ,Vitamin B12, selenium, biotin, Omega-3 fatty acids, proteins to name a few. Omega 3 in salmon helps in maintaining good luster of the hair. Salmon’s high protein content helps to maintain strong, long and healthy hair.
3. Walnuts: Nuts are always good for hair, skin and nail growth, but walnut is the best nut to improve the hair quality. Walnuts contain biotin (vitamin B7) that help in hair strengthening, reduce hair fall, improve hair growth and add shine to your hair. Walnuts also prevent baldness, dandruff, give healthier scalp, darken your hair colour naturally. So eat walnuts in your own style; add them to smoothies, salads or snack on them for better hair.
4. Beans: Green beans is an excellent source of niacin, nicotinic acid that prevent hair loss and make hair healthier, shinier, smoother and bouncier. Beans have loads of protein that promote hair growth. You must absolutely start consuming green beans if the quality of your hair isn’t as good as you want it to be.
5. Vitamin E Rich Foods: There are countless benefits of Vitamin E for hair growth and even for body. Vitamin E can be used for hair growth, premature graying of hair, for split ends, lustrous hair etc. Vitamin E can be found in many foods like green leafy vegetables such as spinach, mustard greens, collard, swiss chards and kale. Nuts, like almonds, are also a good source of Vitamin E. You can also eat Vitamin E capsules. Regular intake of Vitamin E can make your hair more shiny, healthy and long within no time.
6. Amla: Indian gooseberry or amla is one of the best foods for beautiful hair and it can treat all hair woes – from premature greying to thinning hair. Amla is highly enriched in Vitamin C; about thirty percent more than oranges. It is packed in vitamins, minerals and other powerful nutrients. It is helpful in preventing hair loss and premature greying of hair. Amla juice is one of the best ways to include this fruit to your diet.
7. Milk and Milk Products: Milk is like a treasure box for all body parts. Milk protein is essential for long, silky and shiny hair. Your hair is made up of proteins, which is necessary for the tissue growth and for repair. So, if gorgeous locks is all you desire, add milk and milk products to your diet.
8. Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes contains beta carotene antioxidants. Sweet potatoes can prove to be excellent for dull and dry hair. They also encourage the glands in your scalp to create more sebum. Roasted, boiled, baked – there are so many ways to consume this sweet treat, and it can prove to be a good, healthy snack too.
9. Almond Butter: Rich in healthy fats such as omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, iron, biotin, zinc, and protein, almond butter is not only good for hair growth, it is amazing to boost weight loss as well. Switch that sugar-loaded jam with healthy almond butter the next time around, and your hair will thank you forever.
10. Spinach: High on hair-friendly nutrients such as folate, vitamin A, C, and iron, spinach is a leafy green vegetable you should include in your diet to boost hair health.
11. Oats: You thought oats can only help you lose weight? In fact, oats can do a lot more, the polyunsaturated fatty acids, protein, zinc, and iron can stimulate hair growth really well.
12. Carrots: This orange-colored vegetable is full of vitamin A, antioxidants, vitamin C that boost growth and make hair healthy.
13. Chickpeas: This vegetarian source of protein, also has hair-friendly nutrients like zinc, folate, magnesium, and manganese that boost hair growth.
14. Peanut Butter: You can get vitamin E, healthy fats from peanut butter to help hair grow longer and stronger.
15. Lentils: The protein, iron, folate content in lentils improve blood circulation and stimulate growth of new hair.
So, no need to invest in expensive hair treatments to cure hair thinning or hair fall, just add these healthy foods to your diet.