Now since the cold, wintery season is far behind us and sweltering summer sun has started to take a toll on our skin, it’s time to show some extra TLC to soothe and calm, sun-exposed skin. Sunburn, tanning, irritated and inflamed skin are some common woes that summer brings along, so it would be prudent to stock up on skincare essentials to battle the summer heat so that you can glow and radiate through the sweat, humidity, and heat. Also, don’t forget to follow the CTM routine (cleansing-toning-moisturizing) all through the summers to flaunt beautiful skin. Apart from these basics, here’s a list of 10 must-have skincare essentials to brave the summer heat.
1. Sunscreen: No matter what the season, sunscreen is a must, more so in summers when the sun gets at its fiercest. A sunscreen with SPF of 30 or higher is highly recommended, along with UVA/UVB and PA+++ protection. Ideally, look for zinc oxide and titanium dioxide based sunscreens for maximum protection. Here’s the list of “10 Best Fragrance Free Sunscreens” to choose from.
2. Clay Masks: Clay masks are amazing for all skin types, more so for oily skin as it sucks up the oil to make skin matte and less greasy. These masks also help to minimize shine and greasiness from all skin types and clears out clogged pores. Look for clay masks with bentonite, kaolin, and Fuller’s Earth. Here’s a list of the “30 Best Clay Masks Available in India For Oily Skin.”
3. Rose Water: Looking for an alcohol-free toner? Look no further than plain old rose water and in summers, serve it chilled, we mean, spritz it chilled to instantly freshen up dull skin. The best part about rose water is that it is suitable for all skin types – be it normal, oily, acne-prone, combination or dry. Rose water can also be used in homemade face packs since it has antiseptic, anti-bacterial properties as well and can solve a majority of skincare woes. Rose water is gentle on the skin and effective in soothing, balancing, toning and moisturizing your skin so that you feel rejuvenated and refreshed. Once you start realizing the amazing benefits using rose water and the right way to use it, you would definitely make it a permanent ingredient in your skin care routine. Read about “15 Ways To Use Rose Water for Beautiful Skin.”
4. Salicylic Acid Based Products: For acne-prone skin, blackheads, large pores, whiteheads – salicylic acid is a wonderful ingredient that clears up gunk, grime, and bacteria from clogged pores and exfoliates skin to make it clear and radiant. It penetrates deep into pores, an excellent ingredient to look for in your toner, day cream, night cream, serum, and even in primer. Our Recommendations: Saslic Face Wash.
5. Facial Mist: Mint and cucumber based face mists can refresh, hydrate, cool, tone, and above all soothe inflamed and sun-exposed skin instantly. While choosing facial mists, pick the ones with cool sandalwood, mint, cucumber, watermelon, aloe vera as main ingredients.
6. Water-Based Moisturizer: Make that important switch from creamy moisturizers to water based ones that would not clog pores, feels lightweight in texture, and would not make skin greasy or oily. Here’s a list of “50 Best Moisturisers for Oily Acne Prone Skin” from which you can choose water-based moisturizer.
7. Gel-Based Cleanser: If you loved using soapy cleansers all through winters, change to gel-based cleansers because soap-based cleansers tend to make skin extra oily whereas gel cleansers make skin clear skin without leaving skin dry or stretchy.
8. Gentle Face Exfoliator: Regular exfoliation helps to reveal smooth skin from beneath by sloughing off rough skin, and in summers, you just need a gentle one to clear clogged pores and get smooth and softer skin. And the best thing is that you can natural fruits to exfoliate skin – here’s how to prepare “Homemade Face Scrubs With Fruits.”
9. Pure Aloe Vera Gel: Oh, that feel of cool aloe vera gel on inflamed and irritated skin! If you haven’t bought a tub of aloe vera gel yet, it’s high time you pick one. Aloe vera is the solution to calm sunburns, redness, rashes, inflammation and also to remove tan. If you like to whip things yourself, here’s a detailed process on how to make aloe vera gel at home.
10. You have to absolutely try this Refreshing Face Pack to Avoid Common Summer Skin Problems.
Above all, stay hydrated because without hydration, skin tends to become dull and can lose its radiance, and don’t just stop at 8 glasses of water because more water translates to problem-free skin.