Kitchen is a good place to begin your weight loss journey, especially when you are desperately trying to shed extra pounds. On your weight loss journey, certain roadblocks can prevent you from melting away extra fat, such as stress, sedentary lifestyle, emotional eating, etc., but if you are determined and stick to a proper diet, it’s easy to get past them and achieve success on the weighing scale. That’s why it becomes extremely important to put the focus on your kitchen because fat loss is all about 80% nutrition and 20% exercise. Someone rightly said, “you can live in the gym, but if you aren’t eating clean, you are wasting your time.” Weight loss experts often lay great importance on the kind of food you plate, but it would also be prudent to find out what else from the cooking area is making it difficult to lose weight. In this post, we list down 10 things you should throw away from the kitchen to lose weight.
1. White Bread: White carbs are bad and so is white bread. This type of bread isn’t good for weight loss, so you should look for breads that contain whole wheat or whole grains in them. You should 100% whole grain, 100% whole wheat breads, or and each slice should have at least 3 grams of fiber and less than 3 gm of sugar. Read “What is the Best Bread To Eat For Weight Loss” in this post.
2. Deep Fryer: Deep frying can make even the most basic vegetable like potato super delicious, but we all would agree that deeply-fried foods are extremely bad for weight loss with high fat and calorie content that seeps into the food through the oil it is fried in. In comparison, air frying is better than deep frying, so throw away the deep fryer and switch to air fryer instead.
3. Cheap Plastic Containers with BPA: Most Indian kitchens tend to use plastic containers to store food and such containers have been found to have BPA (bisphenol A) that has toxic effects that can trigger insulin resistance, cardiovascular disease, infertility, and even weight gain. BPA also alters the function of hormones like insulin too, and creating insulin resistance. As we all know, insulin is a hormone that regulates blood sugar and triggers fat storage too, and that’s why you should avoid BPA-laden products at all cost. BPA is found in low-quality plastics, canned foods. Cut out as much plastic products as you can, switch to glass, steel, or BPA-free containers to store food.
4. Non-Stick Pans: Cooking is made rather easy with non-stick cookware with chemical coatings, but the problem arises when at high temperatures, these coatings break down and release chemicals into the food, that is not only detrimental for weight loss (most of them are obesogens), they can trigger a lot of health issues as well. Switch to stainless steel or iron cookware from non-stick cookware.
5. Diet Soda: The problem with diet soda is that it has artificial sweeteners like aspartame or saccharin to match up to the sweetness of refined sugar, but then it also has artificial color, flavour, and other additives which can raise inflammation in the body, triggering weight gain.
6. White Sugar: Nutritionally deficient and high in calories, white sugar is completely non-essential to the functioning of body. The biggest benefit of cutting down refined sugar is weight loss! If one consumes more sugar, the body will convert the glucose from sugar source to fat and store it for later use. By cutting down sugar, you will not be providing the body fuel for fat storage (glucose) and with strict exercise and diet routine, you would be able to shed weight really well and get your dream body and goal weight quickly.
7. Packaged Juices: Though these juices may claim to be 100% concentrated juice without any preservatives, nothing can replace whole fruit with high fiber content. These juices not only lack the fiber (completely essential for losing weight), they also might have preservatives and artificial flavours in them.
8. Refined Grains: All refined grains, whether it’s white rice, maida, or cornmeal tend to add loads of empty calories without any nutritional benefit, and they make you gain weight. Switch to whole grains such as brown rice, buckwheat, millets, oatmeal instead.
9. Packaged Breakfast Cereals: Do not replace your regular breakfast with cereals because most of them are extremely unhealthy options to start your day with. A majority have them high sugar, hydrogenated oil, and calorie content. Switch to healthy breakfast options such that as mentioned on the Rati Beauty app to lose weight successfully.
10. Margarine: This type of butter is wrongly marketed as a healthy alternative to butter, but it’s made completely from vegetable oils through the hydrogenation process.