Note: Our next “What’s Going On in This Picture?” live-moderated discussion will take place on Feb. 22, 2021.
1. After looking closely at the image above (or at the full-size image), think about these three questions:
What more can you find?
2. Next, join the conversation by clicking on the comment button and posting in the box that opens on the right. (Students 13 and older are invited to comment, although teachers of younger students are welcome to post what their students have to say.)
3. After you have posted, try reading back to see what others have said, then respond to someone else by posting another comment. Use the “Reply” button or the @ symbol to address that student directly.
Each Monday, our collaborator, Visual Thinking Strategies, will facilitate a discussion from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Eastern time by paraphrasing comments and linking to responses to help students’ understanding go deeper. You might use their responses as models for your own.
4. On Thursday afternoons, we will reveal at the bottom of this post more information about the photo. How does reading the caption and learning its back story help you see the image differently?
We’ll post more information here on Thursday afternoon. Stay tuned!
• Learn more about how and why other teachers are using this feature from our on-demand webinar.
• Find out how teachers can be trained in the Visual Thinking Strategies facilitation method.