Dry and damaged hair is a fairly common problem that most of us face at some or the other point of our lives. Environmental factors, heat styling, hair colouring and other kinds of treatments can easily damage the health of our hair. However, the good news is that you can whip a variety of deeply nourishing and homemade hair masks for dry damaged hair at home that can help revive the health, shine and strength of your tresses. These masks use very simple ingredients and they are adequately hydrating for very dry or damaged hair. Let’s take a look at 10 homemade hair masks to add shine to damaged hair.
1. Plain yogurt hair mask: Take 1 cup of plain and fresh yogurt. Apply this to your hair and scalp, all along the roots and lengths, and leave it on for 20-30 minutes before rinsing it off with plain water. This will deeply nourish your hair while tackling the problems of dandruff or an itchy scalp.
2. Banana and milk hair mask: Take 1 tablespoon of raw milk and the pulp of 1 medium-sized ripe banana. Mix the pulp with the raw milk to form a smooth and liquid-y paste. Apply this to your hair and scalp while your hair is still damp and keep it on for 30 minutes. Rinse off with plain water for deeply moisturized and shiny hair.
3. Honey and olive oil hair mask: Take 2 tablespoons of pure organic honey and mix it with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Apply this to damp hair all along the lengths and wrap your hair in a warm cotton towel or a shower cap. After 30 minutes, you can rinse this off with a gentle shampoo and follow it with a conditioner for very soft and smooth tresses.
4. Honey and banana hair mask: Take 1 tablespoon of pure organic honey and the pulp of one medium-sized ripe banana. Mix the two ingredients really well to form a smooth paste. Apply this mask to damp hair and leave it on for 20-30 minutes before washing it off with plain water.
5. Olive oil and coconut oil hair mask: If your hair is very dry or damaged, then a deeply nourishing mask like this will work best. Take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Apply this mixture of the two oils to the scalp and along the lengths of your hair and leave it on for at least 30 minutes. Wrap your hair in a damp and warm towel while the oil is on, and then rinse off with plain water. This will give your hair all the hydration it needs.
6. Egg yolk and avocado hair mask: Take 1 egg yolk and 1 ripe avocado. Mash the flesh of the avocado to turn it into a smooth paste. Mix in the egg yolk well to form a paste. Apply this to damp hair and wash off with a gentle shampoo after 30 minutes. This will give your hair a boost of proteins and fats, bringing back its lush smoothness and shine.
7. Hot oil treatment for dry hair: If you’re one of those who likes to keep things as simple as possible, then a hot oil treatment will work wonders for severely dry or damaged hair. For this purpose, you can use any of the following: coconut oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil or jojoba oil. Warm up your preferred oil on the stove, and then apply it liberally to your hair and scalp. Now, take a hot towel and wrap it firmly around the hair. You can keep this on for as long as you like, to help the moisture penetrate deep into the hair shafts.
8. Egg, Milk, Lemon, and Olive Oil Mask: This mask will also get rid of dandruff and moisturize hair strands at the same time. To make this mask, break one egg white, one cup of milk, squeeze half a lemon, and finally 2 tbsp of olive oil. Apply this mask to damp hair and wash off with a gentle shampoo after one hour.
9. Aloe Vera and Coconut Oil Hair Mask: Do you know you can use equal quantities of aloe vera and coconut oil, mix well, and apply all over the scalp and hair to smoothen out dryness and frizziness. You can rinse the mask after a few hours and without using any shampoo.
10. Egg, Coconut Oil, and Matcha Green Tea Hair Mask: It is believed that matcha green tea has 137 times more antioxidants than regular green tea. This antioxidant dose would improve blood circulation and stimulate hair growth as well. To make this mask, mix 2 tbsp of coconut oil, one egg white, and 1 tbsp of matcha green tea. Mix all the ingredients together, blend well, and apply to the scalp and hair. Leave for one hour and rinse with a gentle shampoo. Do this regularly for beautiful and glossy hair.