Do not limit exfoliation just to your facial skin, regular exfoliation should be part of haircare too because it is essential to unclog pores, improve blood circulation, clear product buildup, stimulate hair growth, to keep scalp healthy and keep dandruff away. When done weekly, scalp scrubs help to grow out healthy and shiny hair, and reduce the occurrence of dandruff. So let’s head and give our scalps the much needed attention with these easy homemade scalp scrubs. Pick the one you like and pamper yourself.
1. Mix together 2 tablespoons each of brown sugar, finely ground oatmeal and your hair conditioner in a small bowl. Add 15 drops of the essential oil of your choice to this scrub mixture. Scoop a few tablespoons of the scalp scrub mixture onto your fingers and scrub your scalp, using a circular motion. Be gentle and do not rub too harshly.
2. Combine 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 3 tablespoons of conditioner and 3 drops of essential oil. Peppermint, tea tree, lavender and vitamin E are all good choices for the scalp. Apply the mixture to your wet hair. Scrub it into your scalp for a minute or two. Pay special attention to any particularly dry or itchy parts of the scalp. Rinse the mixture out of your hair. Shampoo your hair and scalp with clarifying shampoo, then condition as usual.
3. Mix equal parts of clarifying shampoo and cornmeal and then add few drops of peppermint oil. Scrub it onto your scalp for a few minutes, rinse it out and condition your hair as usual.
4. Take 4 tablespoons of finely ground brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of your favorite silicone-free conditioner and 1 tablespoon of honey in a bowl. Thoroughly mix them together. Use this mixture on your scalp and then wait for 5 mins before rinsing it out. This scrub is very effective on dry, irritated scalp.
5. Mix 2 tablespoons jojoba with 2 tablespoons brown sugar in a small bowl. Add 3 drops each of cypress essential oil and peppermint essential oil. Mix the ingredients until you get a smooth paste. Apply the mixture to your scalp, and rub it in soft, circular motions for five minutes. Rinse the mixture out of your hair, and shampoo and condition as usual.
6. Dandruff-Clearing Green Tea and Honey Scalp Scrub: Here’s a detailed tutorial on how to make this scalp scrub at home.
7. Coconut Oil and Baking Soda Scrub: Combine 2 tbsp of coconut oil and 2 tbsp of baking soda, massage this mixture on the scalp thoroughly. Leave for 5 minutes and rinse with your regular shampoo.
8. Oats and Olive Oil Scrub: This is a soothing scrub/mask. Mix 2 tbsp of powdered oats with 1 tbsp of olive oil and massage all over the scalp. Rinse with lukewarm water after 5 minutes and followup with a conditioner.
Some Dos and Don’ts of scalp exfoliation:
• Wash your hair to get all the styling products out if there are any. Don’t dry your hair. Keep it a little wet before you use the scrub.
• Massage the scrub into your scalp with your fingers. Be gentle while you massage your scalp. Apply it directly to the roots to nourish your scalp. Take a long bath and leave your scalp scrub in for a while.
• Wash off the scrub with cool water instead of hot. Hot water will wash away the beneficial oils, making the scalp dry.
• Don’t use a scalp scrub more than once a week.
• Never use anything that irritates your scalp. If it is, discontinue using it and find something a little gentler.