Simply put, pet health insurance covers unexpected accidents, illnesses, and injuries.
Just like human health insurance, medical insurance for pets helps you access the best care, no matter what happens. With advanced veterinary care becoming more available—and more expensive—pet health insurance is becoming an important part of responsible pet ownership. Read on to learn how Trupanion can help protect your pet.
Trupanion provides more than traditional pet health insurance
Since 2000, Trupanion has made high-quality pet care easier to afford. Our staff includes veterinarians, veterinary technicians, and doting pet owners—and we designed our policy with your pet in mind.
Trupanion medical insurance for cats and dogs covers new and unexpected:
- New and unexpected accidents and injuries
- hospitalization costs
- diagnostic tests
- carts and prosthetic devices
- prescription medication
- veterinary supplements
- prescription food (50% of the cost for up to 2 months of feeding)
We can also cover:
- hereditary conditions (conditions your pet’s breed is prone to inheriting), including elbow and hip dysplasia, diabetes, upper respiratory infections, and thyroid disease
- congenital conditions (conditions your pet developed before birth), including heart disease, nervous system issues, cataracts, and liver disease
Eligibility is simple: Cats and dogs under 14 years old who live in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Australia are eligible for coverage.
Do you live in Florida? Go here to learn how we’re doing things differently for you.
Extra pet health insurance coverage
We also offer optional add-ons (called “riders”) that go above and beyond traditional veterinary care. Pet owners can add any of these riders to their core policy at an additional cost:
- Recovery and Complementary Care Rider – To fully support your pet with complementary, non-clinical procedures, including herbal therapy, behavioral modification for behavioral issues, rehabilitative therapy, and more. Learn more
- Breeding Rider – We’re the first pet health insurance provider to cover certain health conditions associated with breeding dogs and cats. Learn more
- Pet Owner Assistance Package – You deserve extra protection too. Let us help you pay for advertising and reward for lost pets, boarding fees in the event you are hospitalized, liability coverage for third-party property damage, cremation or burial for deaths due to an accident, and holiday vacation cancellation costs.
Trupanion policy and pre-existing conditions
Conditions that showed signs during waiting periods or before you enrolled are considered pre-existing and are not eligible for coverage.
Along with pre-existing conditions, we don’t cover:
- exam fees and sales tax (where applicable)
- spay and neuter procedures
- preventive care (vaccinations, fleas and tick control, dental chews, etc.)
Why don’t we cover these things? Simply put, we don’t think you should pay a middle man for expenses you can budget for. And by focusing on the unexpected, we can keep monthly costs lower for pet owners across the board.
What you get with a Trupanion policy
*We love informed decisions and want to help you make the best choice for your pet. So how do you know if Trupanion is the right fit for you?
With you enroll with a Trupanion policy, you get:
- One simple plan. Forget confusing gold, silver, and bronze plans that you see with human insurance. With Trupanion, your pet gets an easy-to-understand plan with comprehensive coverage that lasts a lifetime. You simply pick your deductible and set up simple monthly payments.
- 90% coverage. Say yes to the best care, no matter how much it costs. Once you meet the deductible, our plan covers 90% of actual veterinary costs for eligible claims.
- No payout limits. Your pet receives lifetime insurance coverage with no caps.
- Your invoice paid while you check out. Imagine no more paying upfront, submitting paper claims, and waiting for approval. Let us pay your bill directly to your veterinarian—just pay your portion and we take care of the rest. No other pet health insurance company can pay veterinarians directly in under 5 minutes.
Protection you can count on
Our policy was developed by veterinarians and has been used to protect nearly half a million pets. It covers treatments and procedures related to thousands of conditions so your pet gets the care they need to live a long, happy life.
A quick phone call could save you thousands of dollars and give you what matters most: more years with your pet. To learn more, give us a call at 888.626.0932 or get your free quote.
*Terms and conditions do apply. We love informed decisions. See our policy for full coverage details.
Trupanion is a registered trademark owned by Trupanion, Inc. Underwritten in Canada by Omega General Insurance Company and in the United States by American Pet Insurance Company, 6100-4th Ave S, Seattle, WA 98108. Please visit AmericanPetInsurance.com to review all available pet health insurance products.