Updated: 11/26/2018 by Computer Hope
Using the date modified feature in Windows File Explorer allows you to find any files that were modified on a specific date or over a range of dates. Using this tip can be helpful for anyone who had lost a file, but knows when they last modified it.
How to find the date of modified files
- Press the Windows key+E on the keyboard to open File Explorer.
- On the left side scrolling menu, select the drive or folder where you’d like to view dates (1).
- Then, on the right side of the screen, type datemodified: (make sure to include the colon) into the search box (2).
- Once done, a menu similar to the one shown below should appear.
- From here, you have a few options:
- View a single day – Navigate to the day you’re interested in and click it.
- View a range within a month – Click and hold down your left mouse button on the starting date, and then drag your mouse cursor to the ending date.
- View a range over a long period – If you need information that spans more than one month or year, you utilize a specific format in the search box. As an example, if you’d like to view the modified dates between October 13, 2018, and November 10, 2018, you would type: datemodified:10/31/2018 .. 11/10/2018 exactly as it is written there, and then press Enter.