Both Progressive and Geico are leaders in the auto insurance industry, but each has its own advantages and disadvantages. This review evaluates Geico vs. Progressive head-to-head by comparing the insurers’ car insurance discounts, coverage, and customer satisfaction scores. Depending on your individual needs, you may find that one company is more appealing than the other.
Whenever you shop for car insurance, we recommend getting quotes from a few of the best auto insurance providers so you can compare coverage and rates. In addition to the insurance company you choose, factors such as your age, vehicle make and model, and driving history can affect your premium, so what’s best for your neighbor might not be best for you. To start comparing personalized car insurance quotes, use the free tool above.
In this article:
Geico And Progressive Highlights
Both Geico and Progressive are well-known companies for a reason. Each is a national insurer that services a large volume of customers. Both are among our top-recommended auto insurance providers because they offer reliable coverage and competitive rates.
Let’s take a look at some of the highlights of Geico vs. Progressive:
|Motor1 Overall Rating||4.5||4.5|
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating||A++||A+|
|Motor1 Claim Servicing Score||3||3|
|New Car Replacement||✓||✓|
Geico Vs. Progressive: Coverage Options
Both Geico and Progressive provide standard coverage in all 50 states. These coverages include:
- Liability auto insurance (Bodily Injury/Property Damage): This covers damage you inflict on other people and their property during an accident.
- Collision: This covers the cost of damages to your own car in the case that you get into a collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive car insurance: This covers you in the case of any other damages to your vehicle that aren’t due to a collision, such as theft, vandalism, natural disasters, civil disturbances, and more.
- Medical payments (MedPay): This covers the costs of vehicle-related medical treatments for both yourself and your passengers, regardless of who is at fault in an accident.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): PIP is similar to MedPay, but MedPay only covers medical bills. PIP covers medical treatment and other injury-related losses such as lost wages from days you are unable to work.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM): This protects you in the case that you get into an accident with a motorist who doesn’t have enough insurance and consequently can’t cover your expenses.
Most auto insurance companies offer standard insurance like liability coverage. What you really want to look at when comparing Progressive vs. Geico is the additional types of car insurance coverage and other insurance options for your home, rental property, and more.
|Usage-based insurance||Yes, in some states||Yes, in 48 states|
|Guaranteed asset protection||No||Yes|
|Ridesharing insurance||Yes, in 39 states||Yes, in 35 states and Washington, D.C.|
|Accident forgiveness||Yes, in 47 states||Yes|
|Other vehicle insurance (boat, motorcycle, recreational vehicle)||Yes, in 47 states||Yes|
|Mechanical breakdown coverage||Yes||No|
|Homeowners insurance||Yes (with partners)||Yes (with partners)|
|Renters insurance||Yes (with partners)||Yes (with partners)|
|Life insurance||Yes (with partners)||Yes (with partners)|
|Business insurance||Yes (with partners)||Yes (with partners)|
|Flood insurance||Yes (National Flood Insurance Program)||Yes (National Flood Insurance Program)|
|Umbrella liability insurance||Yes||Yes, in 42 states|
Roadside assistance is an important consideration for many drivers. After all, who wants to be stranded on the side of the road after an accident or breakdown? Both Geico and Progressive provide this coverage as an add-on. While the plans cost about the same amount of money, the exact services can vary. Here’s a closer comparison of Progressive vs. Geico.
|Roadside Assistance Program||Geico||Progressive|
|Flat tire change||✓||✓|
|Dead battery jumpstart|| |
|Fuel and fluid delivery||✓||✓|
Both providers offer all the standard features included with most roadside assistance packages.
Geico Vs. Progressive: Cost And Discounts
In our research, we found that Geico generally offers lower car insurance rates than Progressive. However, this may not always be the case depending on your details and driving history. The only way to know for sure how much a policy from one of these auto insurers will cost is to obtain quotes from each. That’s because premiums are affected by the following factors.
- Location: Not only are car insurance premiums different by state, but also your local area. If you live in a congested urban area, you will pay more than the driver living in rural America.
- Policy coverage: Whether you choose minimum or full coverage auto insurance can dramatically affect how much you pay.
- Deductible: Choosing a lower car insurance deductible may help keep money in your pocket after a claim but will increase your insurance premium.
- Age: Teen drivers pay more because of the additional risk. The more driving history you have, the lower your rates.
- Driving record: If you are a safe driver with few or no infractions, you can expect to pay less for auto insurance.
- Credit score: Insurance companies look at your credit history to determine your reliability.
- Vehicle type: The car you drive also determines how much you will pay. Some cars cost more to repair because of expensive or rare parts. Before you buy a car, it helps to get a quote and see if your vehicle falls into the category of most expensive to insure, cheapest, or somewhere in between.
The next step in shopping is to look at available car insurance discounts. You could have a higher base premium with one company but then get a lower cost in the end because of your discount eligibility. Let’s compare Progressive vs. Geico by looking at discounts for students, the military, and more.
|Pay in full||✓||✓|
|Anti-lock brake system||✓|
|Affinity Membership Alum||✓|
Geico offers a higher number of discount opportunities than Progressive, but by a small amount. What is more important is which provider offers more discounts for which you qualify. Some drivers may find lower rates with Progressive and others with Geico. For example, our quote research found that Progressive tends to offer lower rates for high-risk drivers (those with accidents or DUIs on their recent driving record). The only way to know which insurer is cheaper for you is to compare quotes from each, which you can do for free below.
Geico Vs. Progressive: Reviews
Both of these insurers have a reputation for entertaining advertisements – with the Geico Gecko and Progressive’s Flo. But what do industry experts think? Here’s a quick look at Progressive vs. Geico ratings from the BBB, AM Best, and J.D. Power:
|BBB Rating|| |
|BBB Complaints In The Last Year|| |
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating|| |
|J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study Ranking|| |
869 / 1,000
856 / 1,000
|J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study Ranking|| |
871 / 1,000
856 / 1,000
When it comes to customer satisfaction, Geico definitely shines. Geico’s strong BBB rating shows that the company is able to handle complaints in a timely and efficient manner, while Progressive seems to struggle with the BBB. J.D. Power’s Auto Claims Satisfaction Study placed Geico near the top of the list, while Progressive was near the bottom of the insurers in the study.
However, both companies showed strong financial strength, proving that they are able to fulfill claims for customers.
When you compare online reviews for Progressive vs. Geico, you can find positive and negative reviews for both insurers.
“I have had numerous big-name insurance carriers for both property and automobile insurance, but Geico is the very best insurer I have had. They really focus on excellent customer service and provide seamless and quick service. If you want the most for your buck go with Geico. I am very grateful to Geico for being there for me when I needed them.”
– Alexander G. via Trustpilot
“I have been a Geico customer for over 10 years. When my auto policy was up for renewal, I decided to shop around for competitive rates only to learn that there was a mysterious glass claim on my insurance record. I called Geico and asked what the claim was for and to whom it was paid. No answers. They admitted nothing was paid and the claim was closed. So now, because of Geico’s error, my rates will go up upon renewal and for any other providers quoting an insurance policy. Because of this I was determined to find another insurance provider…”
– KK via BBB
“Lowest price I got for car insurance. The agent that helped me to get started was great. I was able to renew online myself and the website was super easy to use.”
– Emma via Trustpilot
“They are not there for you when you need them the most. I switched to Progressive from [another] company that was great for a lower premium. I paid my premiums in full, and then an accident happened. Their claims adjuster tries to find a reason not to cover me instead of giving me that warm feeling of being covered. Now things will need to go to arbitration just to try to get them to cover me.”
– Nathan S. via BBB
Unhappy customers with both companies tend to complain about difficulty with the claims process. It is important to note, however, that in both cases such complaints represent a small fraction of insured customers.
Geico Vs. Progressive: Online Tools And Apps
Both Progressive and Geico have mobile-friendly websites and mobile apps. Using these tools, you can manage your auto insurance policy online, pay your premiums, get access to ID cards, upload damage photos for claims, and call for roadside assistance. In addition, each company provides some extra digital tools to make insurance policy management easier.
- DriveEasy®: Geico’s usage-based tool can save you up to 20 percent on your monthly bill.
- Vehicle Care: This system reminds you of when your vehicle requires maintenance.
- Locators: Easily find gas stations, nearby attractions, or parking with this tool.
- Voice Assistance: You can use your Alexa device, Google Assistant, or Google Home.
- Find a Ride: Use the mobile app to hire a Lyft driver.
- Name Your Price®: This tool helps you find a policy that works with your budget.
- Snapshot®: This is part of Progressive’s usage-based program. The app monitors your driving to see if you qualify for additional discounts.
- Virtual Assistance: Use Google Home or Flo Chatbot (a Facebook Messenger app) for additional help.
Which Is Best: Progressive Or Geico?
While Progressive offers lower rates for high-risk drivers, Geico boasts slightly higher customer satisfaction and offers lower insurance rates for most drivers. Both provide full coverage auto insurance and a high number of discount opportunities.
Progressive and Geico are both top-rated choices for auto insurance. After looking closely at the Progressive vs. Geico, Geico comes out on top, but not by much. For more info on each of the insurers, check out our Progressive insurance review and our Geico review.
Numerous discounts, including for federal employees
Mechanical breakdown coverage
Easy quotes process
Low rates for high-risk drivers
Snapshot usage-based program
Some customers complain about poor communication
Average customer satisfaction scores
To figure out which policy would be best for you, we highly recommend getting quotes from both companies. As we mentioned, each person’s premium will be different, so we wouldn’t be surprised if you found better coverage with one insurer than your neighbor did.
Use our quote comparison tool below to get started with free, personalized insurance quotes.
Other Top Insurance Companies To Consider
After comparing Geico vs. Progressive, we can confidently say either would be a solid choice for your auto insurance coverage. However, there are a couple of other providers out there that you might consider while you shop. It doesn’t take long to get a few quotes from competing auto insurance providers. Spending this time could save you money on your premiums. Just make sure the provider you choose also supplies great customer service and claims processing, or you could end up frustrated in your time of need.
In addition to Geico and Progressive, we recommend:
We recently reviewed the best car insurance companies in the nation, and USAA was the only provider that we awarded five stars. That being said, USAA car insurance is only available to military members and their families. If you qualify, the company tends to have low rates, plenty of discounts, and the option to add on roadside assistance. Additionally, USAA excels in customer satisfaction studies, including both J.D. Power studies discussed above.
Learn more about coverage in our complete USAA auto insurance review.
Like Progressive and Geico, we give State Farm 4.5 stars. The provider has great ratings from industry leaders and offers an extensive list of discounts. If you have younger drivers on your policy, you might find more competitive rates with State Farm auto insurance.
Read more in our full State Farm auto insurance review.
Read our other insurance articles: